How are your chemical engineering design skills? Enter our competition to find out! Aweeeeesome prizes await!
IEM Chemical Engineering Design Competition 2012
Design of a Biogas Plant — Production & UtilizationOrganized by Chemical Engineering Technical Division (CETD)
Registration Closing Date: 22 June 2012
Registration Fee: RM200/ team (maximum 5 members per team, incl. 1 team leader)
The design competition is initiated by Chemical Engineering Technical Division (CETD) of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) with the objective of enhancing the design competency practically and methodologically. This competition is open to all chemical engineering students, particularly those in the senior years. It will provide an excellent opportunity for the students to meet and exchange ideas pertaining to the profession with practicing engineers.
- All active Chemical Engineering Students at Diploma and Degree levels from Public and Private Institutions are eligible to participate in the competition.
- The participating team may comprise members from the same or different institutions.
A. Progress Report I (to be submitted end of September 2012)
- Feasibility report
- Process flow diagram and equipment selection
- Overall mass and energy balances
- Demonstration of zero emission concept
B. Progress Report II (to be submitted end of November 2012)
- Equipment design
- Process and instrumentation diagram
C. Final Report (to be submitted end of January 2013)
- Proper definition of basis, criteria and limits of design, and economic performance
- The final report should be at most 100 pages long (not including appendices)
D. Presentation (February 2013)
Presentation of final design if and upon being shortlisted
* Details of deliverables are made available upon registration.
- Feasibility report: 10%
- Process flow diagram and equipment selection: 15%
- Complete mass and energy balance: 15%
- Demonstration of zero emission concepts: 5%
- Equipment design: 15%
- Process and instrumentation diagram: 15%
- Proper definition of basis, criteria and limits of design, and economic performance: 15%
- Presentation: 10%
PRIZES (with IEM CERTIFICATES)
1st Placing: RM3,000
2nd Placing: RM2,000
3rd Placing: RM1,000
Consolation Prize: RM500
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The design submitted shall be original and have not been previously submitted or published.
Engr. Noor Zuraihan Mohamad Noor (P & G)
Ir. Assoc. Prof. Dr Thomas Choong Shean Yaw (UPM)
Ir. Prof. Dr Dominic Foo Chwan Yee (Nottingham)
Ir. Assoc. Prof. Dr Aziz Abdul Raman (UM)
Ir. Hj Tunai Shamsidi (Minconsult)
Ir. Juares Rizal bin Abdul Hamid (MECIP Global Engineers)
Ir. Mohamad Fadzil bin Adnan @ Nan (Petronas)
Ir. Razmahwata bin Mohamad Razalli (Synergy Oil & Gas Engineering)
Contact the secretariat, Ms. Kek Mei Tzy at 03 – 7968 4014 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Decided to join the 'battle'?
Act NOW! Download the brochure from IEM webpage here (take a look at our attractive poster too!) and fill up the registration form in it. Submit and make the payment of registration fee to us by 22 June 2012. We look forward to meeting you in the 'battle field' then!